Monday, December 30, 2013

Seedling Pages Updated for 2013 Season

Seedling Pages Updated for 2013 Season

I have updated my seedlings pages, creating a page for diploids and tetraploids. The pictures on those pages are all from the 2013 season. There are some things I am very excited about continuing to observe and breed from amongst them. They are just a small random sampling of some of the directions I am going in. 

I have noted that because I often write about disease resistance, and rust resistance in particular, that people may mistakenly assume that my entire breeding goal is only about resistance. That assumption, however, isn't true. Just as when you are selecting for multiple branching while also selecting for lovely flowers, your breeding program is not just about branching, so it is that my breeding project is not just about resistance because that is one trait I select for. 


I think this is an important point to make. I have a background in immunogenetics that allows me to understand resistance selection and I have been writing about genetics for a hobbyist audience for many years, so I have the tools to both select for resistance in my own program and to relay to hobbyists ways that they can do the same, but that doesn't mean that rust resistance is my sole focus and I'm not sure how comfortable I feel being just "the rust guy", as if being that somehow means my flower selections aren't on par with a program focused solely on the flowers. I know that I can 'walk and chew gum at the same time' and I want to convey to my readers that they can also. 


So to that end, I am posting some of my seedlings to let the readership see that while resistance selection is a factor of my system of selection, flower traits are also important to me and one doesn't have to exclude one thing for the other. As well, one does not have to compromise and only have "old type" flowers when selecting for resistance. Amongst my favorite flower types are the very modern sculpted forms, teeth, patterns, Unusual Forms and Spider forms. I can breed for and select within all those flower types, both for resistance and advanced floral materials. So can you! :-)

To see the new seedling pages, just look above this post at the menu bar at the top of the page or click on TETRAPLOID SEEDLINGS or DIPLOID SEEDLINGS to go there directly.


Best wishes and Happy New Year to all my readers!


Brian Reeder