Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Welcome To 2022

Welcome To 2022!

Flower

 Looking Back At 2021 and Forward to 2022

Welcome

As we start the 2022 season, I wish you all a wonderful flower season this year! 

This update post for the beginning of 2022 covers the following topics: 2022 Introductions | Updates To Website | Cultivar Discontinuations | New Articles on My Breeding Program | Looking Back at 2021 and Forward to 2022

To read the entire post, scroll on. To go to a specific section of this article, scroll down to that title header in the text below for that particular section.

2022 Introductions

For 2022 I have 24 new introductions - 11 diploid and 13 tetraploid.




2022 Tetraploid Introductions

2022 Diploid Introductions

Amongst the tetraploids are 5 introductions that feature one or more of my own introductions as a parent. This is the first year I have introduced tetraploids with one of my own introductions as a parent. It is an exciting milestone.


Updates to Website

Each highlighted word or phrase below is a link to that page or post.

For 2022 I have made a series of updates to the blog and website. Of course, the New 2022 Introductions are posted and the Daylily Availability list is updated for spring 2022 sales. In addition, I have also revamped the links in the Navigation Bar at the top of the page to make the Daylily BReeder Blog and the Sun Dragon Daylilies website more interactive, and I am trying out a new template on the blog to make the blog and the website have a more streamlined look. As always, the CONTENTS page gives you access to every Topic Main Page and every post on this blog. I have created a new page that lists the rust resistance ratings (both rust resistance level and number of years tested) of all my introductions and it will be updated each year as new introductions are made.

Cultivar Discontinuations

Because space is at a premium, as my tetraploid breeding program continues to expand I will discontinue carrying older cultivars, both from my own introductions and from other hybridizers. In 2022, I have reduced the number of cultivars I am offering from other hybridizers and I am making the first discontinuations of some of my earliest diploid introductions. I will continue to stop carrying more of my diploid introductions over the next few years as I move deeper and deeper into my tetraploid program. My goal with my diploid introductions is to get them out to other breeders and growers so that the interesting traits such as unique flower traits and/or rust resistance are available to daylily enthusiasts. With my focus on tetraploids and a limited amount of space, many of my diploid introductions will only be in the sale garden for about five years before they are discontinued as a stock item. I will probably still retain a clump, so I may be able to provide a division in some instances, but I can't guarantee that will be the case for every one of my diploid introductions. Discontinued cultivars from my own introductions will be noted as such in the Daylily Availability list.

New Articles on My Breeding Program

Each highlighted word or phrase below is a link to that page or post.

I have made significant updates to the section on My Breeding Program, with an a new article on my diploid introductions and tetraploid introductions and how each fit into my overall breeding program design. I have created a new page that lists the rust resistance ratings (both rust resistance level and number of years tested) of all my introductions and it will be updated each year as new introductions are made.



Looking Back at 2021 and Forward to 2022

The 2021 season was nice. It started out with hard freezes running quite late, followed by a drought for about six-weeks right as scapes were starting to come up. So the magic formula was in place to make for a wonderful spring to select for thrips resistance in the early-early and early types. What really stood out was how much better those that had been selected for late freeze and thrips tolerance performed than those growing around them that had lower resistance or tolerance to these types of conditions. Paying attention, and then making selection based on those observations, actually does work. 😉

The 2021 flower season was beautiful in spite of the hiccups of the early-early season. Again, as in 2020, I didn't make a ton of seeds (maybe 2,000 - 3,000? - We can call it "a few thousand") and just like the year before, the vast majority of the crosses were between my own seedlings. The big departure from 2020 was that I was able to use seedlings from the 2014 through 2016 seasons for the first time for real, targeted and focused breeding, as opposed to the limited testing for fertility they had in previous seasons. I am very excited about where those crosses may go.

For 2022, as I move into the 11th year of my hybridizing program, I am now firmly within my own seedlings as my main breeding population. To me, that is the foundation of building my own program over the next decade. For 2022 I intend to again make only a small number of very targeted crosses. What I am doing in these first years of breeding with my own seedlings is just observing, working to find the best breeders that can both maintain the plant traits I prefer and open the door to the kind of flowers I want to develop with those plants, over time. I am excited to see what is new in the seedling beds this year. I should see some of the first flowers from a few of those seedlings bred in 2020. I'm looking forward to what opens. I hope you have a wonderful 2022!